Your Premier Jamaican Sports Portal
Tino Best Out With Injury
KHULNA, Bangladesh (CMC):
Fast bowler Tino Best will miss the limited overs series against Bangladesh with a grade-one hamstring injury.
The 30-year-old picked up the injury on the opening day of the just-concluded second Test at the Sheikh Abu Naser Stadium. He returned to bowl West Indies to victory in the second innings with a six-wicket haul but physiotherapist C.J. Clark said the injury needed further treatment.
"Though being able to bowl in the second innings with pain-killing injections, he will need to return home to Barbados for ongoing treatment and rehabilitation," Clark said.
"It is expected that he will be back to full fitness for the Caribbean Twenty20 Tournament in January."
Best, who has had a chequered international career, will now be replaced by beanpole Barbadian seamer Jason Holder.
The six-foot, four-inch Holder, currently a member of the West Indies Cricket Board's High Performance Centre, has taken 47 wickets from 16 first-class matches.
West Indies head coach Ottis Gibson said Holder had been rewarded for his steady performances with the A-team.
"The selectors have started this policy of looking at giving some of our young players an opportunity at international level to see what they can do," said Gibson.
"Jason has done very well with the A-Team, so it's a good opportunity for him to come here and get into the environment to see what it is like, and experience the work ethic required to be successful at this level.
"As a team, we have had a lot of success this year and he gets to share in what is becoming a successful West Indies team."
West Indies face Bangladesh in five one-day internationals and one Twenty20 International in a series which bowls off in Bangladesh November 30.